RE: [Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers

To: Bill Smith <ko4nrbs@yahoo.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers
From: "Skram, Helge (MED)" <helge.skram@med.ge.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:26:52 +0100
Hi

In my experience, torodial transformers should be the choice for new
designs.
I have built several amps and until my last project used EI core
transformers.
These have been custom made here in Norway.
The cost is comparable with the P.Dahl Hypersil transfiormers.
Would have been interesting to try one of these, however most are made for
60Hz, and that don't work well on 50Hz.

For my 50MHz amp with 8122, I wanted to try a custom made torodial from
www.ulveco.no
Maximum voltage they could make was 1000v. Setteled for 860v and voltage
doubler, this gives 2.2kV loaded.
This worked very fine and price was lower than EI core type from my usual
supplier.
Have now made a very compact and light weigth 8122 amp with 1/2kw
capability.

You should really consider toroidals.
I don't understand why they should be more expensive in USA.

73

Helge
LA6MV