Re: [Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers

To: "Skram, Helge (MED)" <helge.skram@med.ge.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers
From: Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:55:11 +0000
Ulveco makes a fine product. Having been a magnetics engineer for Sprague and ADC for several years, I can tell you that a toroid usually gives better regulation per unit volume than EI and C core designs. On a toroid you do not fill the window as much as you do on an EI or C core so there is more iron and less copper. High quality EI and C core transformaers (Dahl) are the equal of any, regardless of the form factor, as they are designed for great regulation. A shortcoming of the toroid is its inability to withstand DC bias. It has no air gap as does the EI or C core, which is needed to handle DC bias. In circuits in which DC bias can be guaranteed to be zero, this is not a problem and the toroid exhibits another of its advantages, low magnetizing current and thus higher efficiency.

As to cost, for the highest manufacturing costs the toroid wins hands down. THe core has to be taped and the wire has to be either hand wound or shuttle wound with expensive and fussy machines. The EI and C core transformers are easy to wind on a pre formed plastic or paper former using esentially a cheap lathe with a turns counter and a regulator to stop at the proscribed turns. Many coils can be wound at once as opposed to the toroid in which you dedicate one machine and operator to one transformer.

Skram, Helge (MED) wrote:
Hi

In my experience, torodial transformers should be the choice for new
designs.
I have built several amps and until my last project used EI core
transformers.
These have been custom made here in Norway. The cost is comparable with the P.Dahl Hypersil transfiormers.
Would have been interesting to try one of these, however most are made for
60Hz, and that don't work well on 50Hz.

For my 50MHz amp with 8122, I wanted to try a custom made torodial from
www.ulveco.no
Maximum voltage they could make was 1000v. Setteled for 860v and voltage
doubler, this gives 2.2kV loaded.
This worked very fine and price was lower than EI core type from my usual
supplier.
Have now made a very compact and light weigth 8122 amp with 1/2kw
capability.

You should really consider toroidals.
I don't understand why they should be more expensive in USA.

73

Helge
LA6MV

-----Original Message----- From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Bill Smith Sent: 4. desember 2003 16:06 To: amps@contesting.com Subject: [Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers

Toroid Coprporation of Maryland will manufacture Toroid power transformers for Hams. I confirmed it by calling them. They will be more expensive than traditional transformers unless you buy more than one. Combining orders would be the way to go. Their web site is: www.toroid.com 73, Bill

=====
Bill Smith KO4NR