[Amps] Re: SB-220 on 220V

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: SB-220 on 220V
From: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:27:44 -0800 (PST)
I do not think that is correct.

My SB-220 does not use the neutral.  It uses
hot-ground-hot in the power cord.   The "third" wire
is connected to the chassis, and goes to the AC line's
ground, not the neutral.  The schematic supplied with
mine clearly defines the third wire as "ground" and
does not refer to "neutral" at all.  Nothing on the
primary side of the wiring is connected to the
chassis.

The 120VAC fan is driven from one of the primary
windings of the power transformer when it is wired for
220VAC - essentially a center-tap.  The "third" wire
is not used for carrying any current, except fault
current.

If you ran the neutral wire into an SB-220, I am not
even sure where you would connect it.

73,

Dave W8NF

>From: Ku4uk@aol.com
>To: amps@contesting.com
>Cc: Ku4uk@aol.com
>Subject: [Amps] RE 220 V

>No one has said anything about the heathkit SB 22O
wiring. It has two
>hot
>wires to transformer and neutral to chassis .
>Thousands of them still in
use.
>Haven't heard of a problem with them. Maybe Richard
can comment on this
>here on
Amps.