Re: [Amps] MLA-2500 question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500 question
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:21:35 +0000
Roger Parsons wrote:
Neither of my MLA2500s has a reflected power
monitoring position - other versions may have. I think
that the purpose of the trimmer is to try and make the
flat across the frequency range.

As Steve said, it's intended to be a 'bridge balance' or directivity adjustment, to make the forward power indications independent of load mismatch.

All SWR meters and directional wattmeters have this pre-set adjustment, in one form or another. Sometimes it's a variable capacitor or resistor, but sometimes it's a built-in fixed value. In the Bird slugs it's a bendable capacitive tab.

However, this directivity adjustment doesn't directly affect broadband performance. That is rather a separate issue...

It fails
miserably....

Some SWR bridge designs are broadband, others not. Most HF directional wattmeters use the Bruene bridge - the one where the line passes through a toroid - because it is inherently broadband. Or should be, unless there's a serious design error...