Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability

To: jsb@digistar.com, "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:25:46 -0500
> Interesting - I thought Ep dropped because of traditional voltage drop and
> because typical plate voltage supplies are not regulated to the degree
> that filament voltages are regulated - so plate voltage drop is a
> necessity?  Or should I read the drop as an indicator of proper electron
> flow?

Here, Rich is talking about something different than the plate voltage
reading on the meter. During operation, the tubes acts like a variable
resistor between the high voltage supply and ground. The resistance changes
(primarily) as a function of the voltage on the grid. This is what develops
the voltage swing that is ultimately delivered as output.

When you think of the tube as a variable resistor connected between HV and
ground, you start to get an intuitive idea of what is causing the plate to
turn red, etc.

There is a very nice explanation of this at
http://www.w8ji.com/Vacuum_tube_amps.htm , and it also shows what is going
on in the tank circuit etc.

Ed