Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability

To: jsb@digistar.com, "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:49:32 -0500
Some tubes are made to exhibit red color under maximum CCS or ICAS ratings.
The transmitting tube datasheets often contain text such as  "the plate
shows a dull red color at maximum CCS ratings", or "The plate shows a bright
cherry red color at maximum CCS ratings" or even "shows an orange read color
at maximum CCS ratings".  For, some tubes description says "the plate shows
no color at maximum ratings".

One example is the RCA 4-400 tetrode. (a little less dissipation that the
3-500z triode). Here is a picture of two 4-400s operating as class B
modulators at or near their CCS ratings (in an RCA broadcast transmitter
where they are on 24 hours a day)
http://hawkins.pair.com/atcitynj/atcity14b.jpg
(makes a nice screen background for glass tube enthusiasts)

Sweep tubes were never intended for this sort of operation, and their
maximum dissipation ratings were quite low. An article on what maximum
ratings mean can be found at http://www.tubecad.com/december2000/page17.html

With the 3-500zg, the real cooling issue is the keeping the glass-metal
seals cool enough.Typically, the use of a muffin (or tubeaxial) fan blowing
across the tubes isn't sufficient to allow continuous operation at the
maximum ratings; this is why amp manufacturers (including Ten Tec, Qro etc)
restrict the power to 650 or 800 watts respectively in 'key down' modes like
RTTY, and also limit the maximum transmit time to about 10 minutes.  Through
the use of a better cooling system, (like an air system socket and chimneys)
one can take advantage of the higher power operation. The trade off is that
the muffin fan is typically quieter and less expensive and smaller. For
typical amateur use (that is non-rtty) it's fine.

It is also interesting to note that when you just key the amp (no rf drive,
just bias) you'll quickly start to see anode color in the 3-500s biased for
class B or AB(unless you have a circuit that cuts off the tube in the
absence of rf drive). In the case of the Ten Tec, I think the tubes are
dissipating around 300-400w total which is clearly much less than the 1000 w
combined dissipation rating, and yet you will quickly see anode color which
will become a reddish orange.

With respect to tube life, these tubes last a long time (years) if operated
with any reasonable degree of care, which is what makes them so popular. If
you search long enough, you'll find people who have had them running for 20
years, others who lost them at first power up. I think at least 10k hours
depending upon filament voltage is representative. Now, 10k hours is about
1.14 years continuous operation, but in amateur use, that translates to many
years.  I've read the record for continuous operation is held by a thoriated
tungsten filament large transmitting tube operating at a Los Angeles
broadcast station for 10 years continuously.

The most common failures are filament failures, gas arcs causing damage (and
you know about anode color and gettering), excessive drive causing grid
damage. There are all kinds of other things that could go wrong.

A great source of information is Eimac's "Care and Feeding of Power Grid
Tubes" which has be reposted in its' entirety at www.eimac.com  (click on
care and feeding).

Another article, on filament life extension, is "Extending transmitter tube
life, Eimac application bulleting No. 18",  at www.eimac.com   (click on
applications)

Also see, "Techniques to extend the Service Life of High Power Vacuum
Tubes", Walter Johnson, VOA,
 http://www.burle.com/cgi-bin/byteserver.pl/pdf/tp202.pdf

Also see, "Extending the Life of Power Grid Electron Tubes", Alper;
http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBulletins/technoteNo54.html

For some info on tube maintenance from Econco, a tube rebuilder at
http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBulletins/technoteNo54.html

My own advice would be, use the amp, enjoy it. The more you read about
obscure failure modes, the less you'll enjoy it. ;-)

73s

Ed
N1TS