Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability

To: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:00:10 -0500
At 06:32 AM 12/10/03 -0800, Joe Isabella wrote:
In my amp, when I transmit (espeically in the typical long-winded 350W carrier AM transmission),
my RF Parts 3-500ZGs get quite red (almost orange). After 1 year of pretty consistent use
(abuse??) like this, they still run full output.

I think the BIG difference between these and the sweep-tubes you reference it is that they're just
not transmitter tubes and aren't built handle it.

I'm a little surprised to see this even being questioned. Every 3-500Z I've ever seen has been cherry red or brighter at key-down rated output. The ones in my SB-220 are at least 10, more likely 20 years old, and still deliver near-rated output in heavy contesting service. On the other hand, the only time I ever saw a sweep tube go red was right before the tube envelope melted on my old FTDX-560.

73, Pete N4ZR Happy Holidays Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm