Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z plate durability
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 06:32:13 -0800 (PST)
Well, since I seem to have started the last round, let's see what I can do
here...

It's normal for these types of tubes for their plates to turn cherry red.  They
are run 24/7 like
that in the broadcast industry, and replace them when they show a little age.
They can and have
been used successfully in amateur gear as "pulls" for years following.

In my amp, when I transmit (espeically in the typical long-winded 350W carrier
AM transmission),
my RF Parts 3-500ZGs get quite red (almost orange).  After 1 year of pretty
consistent use
(abuse??) like this, they still run full output.

I think the BIG difference between these and the sweep-tubes you reference it
is that they're just
not transmitter tubes and aren't built handle it.

How'd I do, fellas???  :-)

Joe,
N3JI