Re: [Amps] TL-922

To: "Bill, KE5OG" <ke5og@brooksdata.net>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:09:46 -0800

>Hello,
>
>I have a TL-922 that has provided many years of good service. Sometime
>back, during a RTTY contest, when I unkeyed, the amp appeared to stay
>keyed (or partially keyed). I immediately (almost) shut the amp off. When
>I turned it back on after a minute or so, it blew one of the two fuses. So
>I turned it off again. Later I turned it back on and it blew the other fuse.
>
>I have physically examed the amp and I cannot easiily see any obvious
>damage.
>
>So I need to know:
>
>1. Where I might find the fuses or a suitable replacement. I live in the
>sticks of West Texas, so not much choice other than Radio Shack around here.

**  Bill -- Mouser carries the fuses, but the problem wasn't caused by
defective fuses.  My guess is that you had a parasite at c. 120MHz, which
caused a domino effect, which eventually blew the fuses.  If I were
troubleshooting this amplifier, first I would measure the filament-grid
breakdown potential.  It shoud be 5 - 8 kV.  If it's under 5kV, the tube
may grid-fil short when lit.  Such a condition puts a short on the +110V
PS., which produces 0v grid-fil bias, which causes plate/anode current to
flow during RX.    Since the transformer that powers the filaments plus
the +110v cut-off bias PS, when a tube shorts in a stock TL-922,  the
transformer will melt-down unless the power is quickly switched off..
There's an article about circuit improvements for the TL-922 on my
website.