Re: [Amps] Groth Turns Counters

To: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Groth Turns Counters
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 09:59:13 -0500

Wow!  How was Christmas?  8*)

>Subject: [Amps] Groth Turns Counters

> Does anybody know if Groth turns counters are still available?  I need
> couple for my rebuild of the 4-1000A amps from the old W3AU contest
station
> of the 60s and 70s.  I saw the notes from W6RU and ON4UN off this
> reflector, but these are dated 1998.

I vaguely remember reading that Mr. Baumann (?) died and that was the
end of the turns counters.  It is a great shame as they provided an
excellent solution for amps builders.  I hope someone else has happier
information.  I suspect that there is still a pretty good market for
those dials!  Baumann ran a small photo ad in QST almost every month, so
he must have been selling a few!

> I'm looking specifically for the Groths.  I have several of the units
from
> Surplus Sales of Nebraska, but their design takes up depth behind the
panel
> for the counter gearing and shaft coupler.  The W3AU amps have really
large
> (and nice!) vacuum variables which I would like to retain without
going to
> a deeper chassis and the Groths would be a big help in accomplishing
this.

Yes, this was the beauty of the dials.  Just attach them to the front
panel and use a shaft and coupler to your vac variables or rotary L.
Neat and economical.  I used a pair on a 3-1000Z amp and found them very
easy to work with.

Hope you find a source.  If you do, please share it with the rest of us!

73,
Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net
*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu or
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

---