[Amps] measure inrush

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] measure inrush
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:31:12 -0700
Happy new year to all the amplifier builders and experimenters with higher power RF here.

When I designed step start for commercial transmitters i used a clamp on Fluke current transformer, and connected it to a scope. There I could see the momentary inrush current scaled by 100 or 1000. As long as the CT wasn't saturated this worked well.

When I step start modified my SB220 years back, I just used low value Resistors and noted that the plate voltage comes on for a fraction of a second at lower voltage before kicking up to max. The resistors didn't feel warm afterwards, so I believe it worked fine.

john
K5PRO