[Amps] Homebrew "Hi-Pot" design issues

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Homebrew "Hi-Pot" design issues
From: "Jim Homer" <jimhomer@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 07:51:09 -0700
I am currently gathering components for a new amp project, and
would like to 'pre-qualify' my parts with a hi-pot assure that the
proverbial "one bad apple" doesn't blow up the whole bunch
when I apply HV power.

So, I am considering a simple hi-pot project using a small variac, a
7.5 kvac 30 ma neon transformer, 15kv rectifiers, .1 mfd 10 kv cap,
15KV HV 'tigerstripe' resistors and associated components to get an
adjustable output of about 0-10 kv.

My current "Draft" design would limit direct-short current to 100
microamps max at 10KV and proportionately less as the adjusted
voltage is less (50 microamps at 5 kvdc and so on).

However, I have been looking at commercial hi-pots and many have
adjustable "trip" values of from 1 to 50 milliamps or so, so I am
concerned that my current designed limit of 50 microamps at 5 KV
might be too low.

Can anyone experienced in this area tell me what amount of leakage
current would be considered "acceptable" or "typical" for components
such as vac variables, large tubes, RF caps, HV power tranformer
insulation and the like?

Thanks....

Jim Homer W6JNG