[Amps] SSRs for main turnon

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SSRs for main turnon
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:03:11 -0700
We used Crydom SSRs and other second sources (gordos, and others) in the Broadcast Electronics FM transmitters in early 1980s as a cost savings measure, and 'reliability enhancement' over typical mechanical contactors. The big rigs still used a massive contactor (Furnas) but the 3-5 kW range used a combination of contactors and SSRs. We always felt that a solid contact was needed in front of any silicon switches, so that when the transmitter was switched off, it was not sitting there with SSR on the power line ready to false on. Also, sort of gave the end user that satisfying 'kerchunk' sound when first turned on.

Also, having microprocessor and CMOS logic control, these rigs would have required additional buffers to drive contactors (10-100 mA coils usually), whereas the SSR could be logic driven with only a single transistor. However, when the contactor switched in front of the SSR, sometimes the SSR would turnon for a short time and then off again. This plagued us for a long time during the development cycle, and we read all the books from Crydom and IR and tried every type we could get our hands on, zero crossing and non zero crossing switches. MOVs across the output terminals didn't help. RC circuits did lower their susceptability. They just don't like to see fast DV/DT transients on the triac pins.In some smaller transmitters we even had a small load resistor across the output that drew a minimum current when they were off. I never liked to kludge things like that, but we never could get them quieted down when switching on 240VAC or 480 VAC lines with 30-100 Amp currents in the same power supply. Three phase systems really are best suited with 3 pole relays in my opinion.

Maybe they have improved since then, but I still treat them with some disdain and use contactors for the ultimate line disconnect when I press the off button. Call it old fashioned.

John
K5PRO