RE: [Amps] soft start circuits

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] soft start circuits
From: "PAUL HEWITT" <wd7s@att.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:03:03 -0800
HI Ian
For safety I still use common sense, fuse every thing and use a plug!  My
experience with mechanical relays here is the exact opposite, I've welded
them closed twice!!  Not all faults occur on the tube side of the glitch
resistor unfortunately.  Before I committed to using SSR's I spoke with two
of the local electricians that I use about them, zero failures!  I also
don't do as John describes in his post, mix arcy/sparky mechanical contacts
with the SSR's, sounds like a good way to test the snubber circuitry, HI.  I
would probably feel uneasy also with these in some of the Frankenstein
equipment John develops but in our "tiny" supplies I have no worries.  Has
anyone with a Command, QRO or Emtron amplifier ever had a SSR failure? The
other tribe is just curious!
Cheers, Paul

PAUL HEWITT
WD7S PRODUCTIONS