RE: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal

To: "ka1xo@juno.com" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Transformer varnish removal
From: "COLIN LAMB" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:19:10 -0800
Before using MEK, I would read all the cautions very carefully.  After
doing so, I stopped using it.

73,  Colin  K7FM

cans of Acetone,  of Toluol or Toluene, and of isopropyl alcohol.

> Try not to smoke, and don't do this in the kitchen or basement with the
furnace or gas-fired water heater running.

> The mixture of the above chemicals with MEK as the base and
> Toluol 20%, Acetone 20%, Toluol 10% and alcohol 5% will make a
particularly aggressive removing compound solvent for resinate
> deposits including varnishes and polyurethanes.
>
> The mix will not heat up by itself unless you add water. Please avoid
adding water. As long as you keep the mixture in a tightly sealed metal can
in a very cool location like the basement floor it will keep for
> months.
>
> Soak articles to be stripped in a covered enamel or stainless soak pan
until the varnish, lacquer or poly has leached out into the solvent, and
then use a parts brush with some clean solvent to finish up the tough spots.

> Paste type stripping compounds employ Methyl Chloride. Compared to the
stuff listed above it's in a world of Haz-Mat all by itself. A definite
order of magnitude nastier, by far, but it does work. If you end up using
Strip-Eze, make sure you have a fan going nearby to blow the
heavier-than-air cloud of vapors away from your work station and wear
Nalgene or acid-resistant gloves. MC will burn your skin, but not right
away. That's the nasty part.