Re: [Amps] SB-1000 - 3-500Z restoration

To: "W1WCI" <kb1gfv@arrl.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-1000 - 3-500Z restoration
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:17:50 -0800

>Have a new old SB-1000 with a 3-500Z.  Turns on, lights up, HV ok, but
>tube arcs and fuses blow.

**  How is it known that the tube arcs?

>Things checked:
>-looks good, nothing looks or smells cooked
>-new caps
>-diodes test ok
>-lights up ok without tube
>-transformer windings ok tested at 1000V
>Before the tube arcs (I hear it)

**  If the arc makes a loud bang it is not inside the tube, it is in the
atmosphere...

>the tube glows at the base(10-30
>seconds til arc).

**  What color is the glow?

>Have read about restoring tube by "running low anode voltages and
>positive bias on the grid".  I guess I am asking how to do this?

** Check tube (filament not lit) with a high-potential tester:  If the
anode/grid leakage is under 10uA, and the grid-filament withstanding
potential is >5000v, chances are good that the tube is too.

 have phun, Tim