Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 05:09:43 -0800 (PST)
Dan,
The plates should get red when the amp is keyed for a while.  If they turn very
bright orange,
then be concerned.  It sounds like you had the amp under-loaded, which can
cause it to spit &
sputter.  What was your loading C set to?

When I tune my TL-922 (very closely related to the SB-220), I do a quick "rough
tune" carrier at
low drive power, then apply full power using my rig's keyer sending dits at
30wpm.  I now pretty
much know where the amp should be set on my favorite parts of the bands, so I
can usually skip the
first part.

Are you sure the bandswitch is in good shape?  When I bought my amp, the switch
was torched.

Joe,
N3JI