Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in

To: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:01:09 -0500
The plate tune capacitor should be the LAST thing that you tune.
It should also be the first thing that you tune.

When you start out apply a small amount of drive and dip the plate with the plate tune cap. Or peak it for maximum output of the amp. Then increase the drive slightly and increase the loading for maximum output. Retune the plate tune again. You can do this in 3 stages as you mention, each time doing it with more drive until you get to full drive.

You want to end up with full drive applied, tune plate tune for maximum output, tune load control for maximum output and then tune plate tune for maximum output again. If you get much of a change on the last retune of the plate tune then readjust the load control again and the plate tune again.

By the way, keep one hand on the carrier level on the exciter as you are tuning up. Only insert carrier for the short time that you are actually turning the knobs. Then reduce the carrier until you get your other hand on the next knob to adjust. This way you will not have excess current in the amp for very long while it is not in tune.

It sounds like you are not loading the amp heavy enough and the plate circuit is arcing when you apply drive again.

Are you turning the exciter on the second time with full carrier applied at turn on? If so the relays on the amp may not have enough time to connect the antenna before power is being generated causing arcing.

73
Gary  K4FMX

Dan Sawyer wrote:
All,

I am closing in on 'tuning' an sb-220. To make a long story short I was tuning at low power and running it at a higher power. Now I am tuning up incrementally in 3 steps from 10 watts to 100 watts CW. This works smoothly on both 80 and 40.

However on 20 when I finished the a 3rd tuning cycle of optimizing 'tune' and then 'load' I turned off the exciter drive. Upon re-engaging the exciter the amp went ballistic; the sound was a loud continuous spitting. It was continuous, not a single snap or pop. I backed the power off and re-tuned following the same steps and after turning the exciter off and then on it did the same thing. I waited about a second looked around the side of the amp. The tube plates were glowing dull red. I was able to prevent this by carefully de-tuning. However this was more by feel then by a plan.

What is most likely happening??

How can it be prevented??

Thanks,
Dan