Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor onlycrimpedto t

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor onlycrimpedto the ...
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:50:45 +0100
Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 3/29/04 09:39:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jaking@es.co.nz writes:
>

>> Why was this not soldered? Surely that would make a more reliable
>> electrical path for such an important component?
>>

> Possibly because regular soldering can melt under the heat of the
> circulating tank circuit current.  A mechanical connection is better
> for this area, there
> is nothing that can melt.  I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN MORE THAN ONCE!
In all the high reliability areas I've worked connectors are always crimped,
not soldered - maybe for different reasons from the Heath amp, but I think
many people are not aware of how good a properly made crimp connection is. A
big proviso - the wire and crimp tool have to be the right ones for the
connector.

Steve