Re: [Amps] DVM recomendation

To: wrt@dslextreme.com, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] DVM recomendation
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:33:17 EDT
wrt@dslextreme.com writes:
Raid the cookie jar and get a Fluke.  They are expensive, but you'll
never be sorry you bought the best.  I used to work in the avionics
industry and we wouldn't use anything else.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

Bill,

 I have had quite a few Fluke meters in my service lifetime.

 I had three of them, (all over $100 when it had twice the purchasing power
that $100 has today), 'die' on me with the same exact failure (because the LCD
display went bad just after they went out of warranty and Fluke wouldn't
replace them free even though they knew it was their design problem). Since I
worked for Bell Labs (now called LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES), back when it was still
quite
profitable, I just disposed of the old meters and ordered new ones from the
'gift shop' (our stockroom), and had the replacements within a few hours.

 Forcably retired after 37 years at that place, I didn't have the money to
keep buying those fragile Fluke meters, so I had to settle for what I initally
thought was going to be much less, but they actually turned out to be much
better!

 Since then I have had many different brands that all worked as good or
better than the Fluke, and all costing less than the fluke, (except for the HP
5-1/2 digit bench model I have), and they didn't die after only a year or
two....

 As a matter of fact I purchased a couple of refurbished Electrotek meters
here at the ODIUM winter hamfest in Chicago for $15 each that have outperformed
those fluke meters for 6 or 7 years now and they are still working fine.

Regards,

Dennis O.