[Amps] Reply for "Tuned transformer".

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Reply for "Tuned transformer".
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:48:58 -0400
Angel,
What you have there isn't a "tuned transformer". Those are filters to stop RFI
and TVI from going out through the line. I imagine that is a single phase transformer
too. Really, one leg of the capacitor is at ground in a single phase circuit. A lot of
rigs and amps have used this before on and off. Also you mentioned it was built in
Germany. By this, the transformer is probably wound for 50 Hz operation. If you run it on
60 Hz the voltage on the secondary will increase. The 800-0-800 will not be that at 60Hz
but somewhere close to 900-0-900. That was made to provide a 1120 Vdc output using a
rectifier tube and not using the two 800 windings in series to make 1600 Vac. It should
have a filament winding on it also for the rectifier, probably at around 5-12 Vac. I
could give you a estimate of the power rating if I knew the core size and which lams it
used. It takes approximately five (5) square inches of core for 1000 watts power output.

Will Matney, owner
US Amp