Re: [Amps] Tuned power transformer

To: avilaseca@bluewin.ch
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned power transformer
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:46:43 -0700
On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:38:59 +0200, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

>So I guess that this must be a tuned-primary power trnsformer. I never
>saw this before. How does this work? What are the properties of a
>tuned-primary power transformer? Does it prevent current inrush at
>power-on like a tuned choke?

Zenith used this technique for years in their color TV sets back in the
'70s.  It is a parallel resonant circuit which is carefully designed to
make the core go into saturation at the peak of each AC cycle, thus
providing a measure of voltage regulation to the secondary.  It worked
reasonably well, although other TV manufacturers never adopted it as far
as I remember.

Since it is foreign-made apparently, be sure it is designed for 60 Hz
and not 50, else trouble is sure to ensue.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW