Re: [Amps] Tuned power transformer

To: avilaseca@bluewin.ch
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned power transformer
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:35:55 -0700
On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:04:42 +0200, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

>Dear Bill,
>
>Tnx for your answer.
>
>So let's try to guess what happens if I remove the capacitor... There is no
>parallel resonant circuit any more, so the power line "sees" a much lower
>impedance, so the core will saturate on the whole AC cycle and the primary
>should go up in smoke even without a load on the secondary?
>
>Am I right?

I've never tried it, but that sounds right to me.  Also, I suspect (but
can't prove) that the transformer needs a more or less constant load for
the saturation function to be effective.  Remember, in the Zenith TV's
that used this technique, the load was essentially constant and only the
line voltage varied.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW