[Amps] strange inquiry for 4CX15,000A use

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] strange inquiry for 4CX15,000A use
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:20:32 -0600
That question is like asking which refrigerators use brand X compressor, or which trucks use a Cummins (or Fiat) engines. The 4CX15,000A is used (and has been used for many years) in all sorts of transmitters, from broadcast FM rigs in the 20 kW output range (class C) to drivers for particle accelerators, to linear amplifiers (class AB1 or 2) and so on. If you wish to just purchase a transmitter using this tube, and don't care about the frequency, mode of operation, suggest you contact CPI/Eimac, the original designer of that tube and a current manufacturer, for a list of who uses it today. You might not get that info, but you can probably get market segment data at least. Then you should search for companies and call or check the web to see. Not as many companies are using it in new products now, as solid state is slowing overcoming a lot of the <20 kW power range for <150 MHz frequencies.

K5PRO

Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:59:58 -0600 From: Horne David H Civ OO-ALC/YPVS <David.Horne@HILL.af.mil> Subject: [Amps] What Transmitters use the 4CX15000? To: "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com> Message-ID: <200405262201.i4QM16K0019870@ofgate.hill.af.mil> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I am interested in identifying and possibly obtaining a transmitter that
uses the 4CX-15000 (I think it has an A on the Part Number).  It's a large
tube.  I have heard that it is used for FM, SSB, and RTTY service.  The gain
may need control.