[Amps] more on rebuilding glow bottles

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] more on rebuilding glow bottles
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:11:24 -0600
Rebuilding a tube 'usually' entails more than recarburizing the filament. I don't recall any of ours being just re-carb'ed without being opened up and inspected.

The grids often need to be replaced due to high primary or secondary emission, from being coated during operation.They can sometimes get rejuvenated by running them with grid dissipation but not always. Sometimes there are holes in the grid from arcs from anode towards cathode. Sometimes the grid is warped. Sometimes there is a G1 to cathode short due to a loose wire.

Anode is also inspected for melting, arc craters, signs of electron beam cutting, unusual grain growth in the coppper. They cannot be reused indefinitely.

Perhaps some companies are just re-carb'ing tubes for rebuilds, but I would hope that they are charging a lot less than 40% of the new cost for just that service.

For reasons which Ian pointed out, and from experiences I have had with the same, it is not wise to cut and rebuild glass tubes unless there is an extreme need or cost is no object. In our case, the Machlett tubes were sold to Eimac, and discontinued from production. Only way to survive with them was to try to rebuild some duds or redesign the circuit. They ran with 90 kV of plate voltage, as a switch for the mod anode on a megawatt klystron.

I am not sure why Econco didn't rebuild Cermelox RCA designs, but maybe due to complexity, or the lack of oxide cathode knowledge for that design?

73
John
K5PRO