[Amps] E rating of PVC

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] E rating of PVC
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:04:08 -0400
The voltage rating on the PVC pipe your mentioning, especially schedule
40 would probably handle up to 5000 Vdc with no problem. That is about
the thickness used in most probes. The main reason for their long length
is not really safety so much but the length of the high ohm resistor
used in the shaft. That resistor is probably  4-5 inches long and about
a hundred megohms for a 20,000 ohms per volt meter. You could make up a
"corona ring" or the large round guard for the handle out of a round
piece of plastic sheet or plexiglass. Really it just keeps the hand from
un-intentionally slipping off the handle. Just make you up a tip from an
ohm meter test lead tip and wind a small spring clip for it so it will
stay attached to the HV source like most have. Standard lead wire can be
used as the meter leads. I have one here that fits my Simpson 260 made
by Simpson and a Heathkit I think it is. I use the Simpson on all my HV
measurements. You may also want to check Ebay as that's where my Simpson
came from. You can usually buy one there way cheaper than you could
build one.

Will Matney
US Amplifier

"Loaned" my commercial high voltage probe to a "friend" and have not seen it
in six months, the "friend" claims he does not have it. Need to homebrew a
HV probe, can I use Schedule 20 or 40 pvc? Will it handle the E (4 kvdc). I
guess I could hi pot test it. Any info appreciated.

Lane
Ku7i