[Amps] burnt-looking adhesive/sealant ... ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] burnt-looking adhesive/sealant ... ?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:28:29 -0500
Hello.  Ever since I visited with Ron and Lew in Pennsylvania last week, I
have had nothing but amps on the brain.  ("visions of glow-bottles dancing
in my head").  Naturally I cruised through eBay when I got home.

There is an old Henry 2K Desk version on eBay (auction #5709816071).  I was
interested because this is the kind of Henrys that I operated as a kid at my
Elmer's stations, in fact I cut my teeth on one just like this desktop
version where the power supply was in a separate cabinet and the deck got to
sit on the desk with the radios (unlike most Henry amps).

It would look mighty fine with my S-line, eh?

For starters, I inquired about whether the auction includes the power
supply; it does not.  The seller ("Allen") included photos, one of which I
put here for your expert perusal:

http://home.swbell.net/swca/radio/Henry.JPG

To me, it looks like one end of the RFC is bunt and there is additional
damage to flanges, capacitors, whatever, not clear from the photo, plus the
leads from the HV to the tube caps appear to be altered (understatement).

I asked the seller and he says "If you are referring to the black looking
stuff on the end of the big red coil/choke, that is some sort of adhesive to
seal the wire to the core.  It is also on some of the nuts, etc.  It is not
something which has burnt. Don't know if it was used to simply seal
something in place or insulate it. But it definitely is not something
fried."

Does anyone remember if this goo was Henry standard procedure?  My 2K-4LKA
does not look like this.  Basket case?  Tubes NFG?  The seller has replied
politely to every question I ask, and is very straightforward, but most of
the answers are "I don't know."  He says "without the power supply I have no
way of testing it."

Mark, N5OT