Re: [Amps] Crowbar components

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Crowbar components
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:20:42 +0100
Frank Goenninger wrote:
Hi all on the list:

There have now been several posts here pointing

http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm

as a suitable crowbar circuit. I want to copy that
one...

When searching for suitable components I could not
find a suitable opto-coupled Diac as shown in the
mains circuit.

My HV transformer will draw abt. 21A of current so
I need a Diac able to withstand that or I have to
substitute that part with ??? A diac controlling
a thyristor ? Or ??

Are there any such diacs or what would a suitable
replacement circuit not altering speed too much
look like?

It is a normal solid-state relay. (I am not sure if it is the zero-crossing type... you could check with Hannes.)

Other information.... L1 is simply 10m of wire, random-wound. The thyristors are typically 1200V or better, 8A or better (8A is the continuous rating, but these are being used in their pulse rating which is much higher. Since it is only a single pulse, TO220 packages with no heatsinks are fine.) IRF make some nice 1600V TO220 devices at a good price.

Frank, I will scan the original DUBUS article in German/English for you... but it can't be until Monday.