Re: [Amps] Crowbar components

To: frank_goenninger@t-online.de
Subject: Re: [Amps] Crowbar components
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:02:57 -0700

On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Frank Goenninger wrote:

Hi Rich!

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 11:40, R.Measures wrote:
On Jul 21, 2004, at 8:47 AM, Frank Goenninger wrote:

Hi all on the list:

There have now been several posts here pointing

http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm

as a suitable crowbar circuit. I want to copy that
one...

When searching for suitable components I could not
find a suitable opto-coupled Diac as shown in the
mains circuit.

My HV transformer will draw abt. 21A of current so
I need a Diac able to withstand that or I have to
substitute that part with ??? A diac controlling
a thyristor ? Or ??

Are there any such diacs or what would a suitable
replacement circuit not altering speed too much
look like?

Frank -- Why go to the trouble of interrupting the flow of electric
mains current by special means? The stored charge in the filter-C is
what can produce enough peak current to cause bent filaments in 3-500Zs
or gold to sputter from the grid of 8877s, and this current is already
limited by the glitch resistor -- provided it is able to withstand the
Joules available from the filter-C without going kaput.

Well, I see the crowbar as a very elegant solution - and I've never done
one myself so far. So, technically speaking - I can't really say what
the killer argument for a crowbar would be.

That it's elegant.

I see it as a second
protection in case the Glitch-R doesn't do his job or something else
happens out of the blue...

Hello, Frank --
To prove that a crowbar protects the tube adequately, one needs measure the peak fault current, To do this, connect a 0.1-ohm precision resistor from the neg. HV to ground, and connect an oscilloscope across the resistor to measure the peak V. When the pos. HV is shorted to ground with a large screwdriver, for a 2, 3-500Z amplifier, the peak V should be less than 20V, which = 200A-pk. For oxide cathode tubes of similar output capability, the peak current should probably be under 100A.
cheerz

And, of course, building one and testing it is in itself a new one for me.

73, Frank, DG1SBG

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org