Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:03:23 -0700

On Jul 30, 2004, at 12:32 AM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Will Matney wrote:

"I'd like to make a modest proposal here: how about not feeding a "dirty" supply to *either* of the grids?".......... Ian G3SEK

Ian, that's exactly the point I'm trying to get across.

Agreed, we're mostly dickering about different ways of saying the same thing.

The only other thing I mentioned was that voice modulation creates more IMD than does the two tone test, and by what I've read, we are all in agreement it does.

Again, agreed.

But taking up Peter's point, even a tone spacing as narrow as 30Hz don't come anywhere close to a realistic test for an amplifier that is supposed to be used with human voice modulation.

The nasty feature of real voice signals - ordinary spoken words - is that they also contain a *very* strong pulsing VLF component at a syllable/word rate of only a few Hz.

 Not to mention the additional problem caused when nasty words are spoken.

This VLF component drags down the power supply, and makes the amp very vulnerable to the large 300-3000Hz components that are often happening at the same time. No two-tone test can simulate this, and even three-tone or pulsed two-tone tests are only tinkering with the problem.

If you want to measure the SSB IMD performance, then the *only* truly valid test signal is... the human voice.

The question is, how to develop a reproducible voice test?

 Virtually everybody has one built-in. And, as a free added bonus, it's the very same one that is going to be used on the air.

Well, a standard voice signal is very easy to generate, in these days of digital audio (I'll come back to the question of *whose* standard voice).

 But it's not the same one that will be in use on the air.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org