Re: [Amps] 3-500ZG brands

To: "Clay W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500ZG brands
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:46:19 -0400
At 10:04 PM 8/11/2004, Clay W7CE wrote:
I've just acquired a Kenwood TL-922A which needs a new pair of finals (one
of the filaments doesn't light up).  Does anyone have experience using the
Taylor or RF Parts branded 3-500ZG tubes in this amp?  Does the cathode bias
need to be changed when switching to the 3-500ZG?  Any recommendations will
be appreciated.

Clay, before you do this, check to be sure that the filament hasn't simply opened due to overheating of one of the filament pins. This is a common failure because the tube socket springs weaken with age and the resulting resistance between the pin and the socket causes local heating. I have successfully repaired one that had gone this way with silver solder that Rich Measures sold me (cheap), and have another awaiting the same treatment.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on August 2, 2004
2753 contest stations at