Re: [Amps] RF exposure limits in reality

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF exposure limits in reality
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> jsb@digistar.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any information as to "real life" exposure limits for
> > adults, children and newborns at various frequencies?  I've seen the
> > generic exposure limit ratings that the FCC publishes for dipoles but
> > was wondering if there were some figures that clearly state the
> > minimum safe distance for various frequencies and power levels.
>
> There's a useful calculator at <http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/>
> that will help you determine if you are in compliance with FCC
> regulations.

That's a great link - will keep that one bookmarked.

> Having said that, I believe that the standards for RF safety at HF are
> ridiculous -- FAR too restrictive.  I have NEVER seen an actual report
> of anyone being harmed by radiated HF RF (microwaves are a different
> matter), or any studies demonstrating that HF RF -- even at 'amps
> subscriber power levels' -- is in the slightest bit dangerous.

I agree - my grandfather ran a KW all through my mother's childhood
operating CW and she turned out ok - hi - albeit 40 and 20 meters.

The thing i'm confused about is the difference, and I mean the REAL
difference, between controlled and uncontrolled environments.  My dipoles
are at around 35 to 38 feet off the ground and the shack is about 10 feet
above the ground (split level house).  So i'm roughly 25 feet away from
the center of the dipole - unsure if a 1KW CW signal qualifies as
controlled or uncontrolled operation.

thanks,
jason