Re: [Amps] RF exposure limits in reality

To: jsb@digistar.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF exposure limits in reality
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:07:08 -0700
jsb@digistar.com wrote:

The thing i'm confused about is the difference, and I mean the REAL
difference, between controlled and uncontrolled environments.  My dipoles
are at around 35 to 38 feet off the ground and the shack is about 10 feet
above the ground (split level house).  So i'm roughly 25 feet away from
the center of the dipole - unsure if a 1KW CW signal qualifies as
controlled or uncontrolled operation.

'Controlled' and 'uncontrolled' are lawyer-talk, not tech-talk. A controlled area is one in which the station owner 'controls' who can be in it. Your backyard is a controlled area, since anyone who goes in it presumably agrees to take the risk. An 'uncontrolled' area is your neighbor's backyard, where he can be exposed without knowing it.

The whole business is just about covering butts against frivolous lawsuits. Having said that, it was useful to me when my neighbor expressed fear that my antenna was harming her children, and I could point to having done the calculations and established that even the government thinks they are in no danger!

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco