Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:57:38 -0400
Marv,
On a glass tube, there would be one way of calculating the anode temp by the color it glows at. Knowing the temp characteristics of the anode material, the color is dependent upon temperature. So, by going to the material specs, generally know it's melting point, a temperature can be determined this way. Like you said, the anode couldn't be measured through the glass. I think Rich is speaking about the temp of the anode connector coming out of the glass on the top of the tube. This is where the leak would be if any or around the base pins caused by the heat. One thing about this mailer, good discussions can be brought up with a wealth of information available to the readers.

Will

IR doesn't radiate "through" standard glass. It heats the inside and then travels by conduction to the outside. So, you can not measure the temperature of the anode structure even though you can see it.

Again, painting a black target will facilitate measurement of the
outside temperature of the glass. Of course, that black spot will
radiate better than the rest of the glass envelope and therefore be a bit
cooler. I leave it to the thermodynamics department to calculate the
correction factor.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv  WC6W