Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

To: wa4tt@nlamerica.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:24:45 -0400
Dear Sirs,
        In reading about how the SB-220 will be used on AM  I wonder
if any of the '220 users out there have connected a known-good 50 ohm
dummy load AFT of the amplifier and a known-good Reflected RF Power
meter between the exciter and amplifier and measured what the
amount of reflected power is with and without the amplifier on line.

        Is it not true that the SB-220 pass-through circuitry and the
input tuning circuitry sometimes displayed greater than ten percent
reflected power with the amplifier in STBY and an equivalent amount
of reflected power while keyed?

        In developing an A-M signal and worrying about the ability of
the amplifier to withstand prolonged keying, is it not wise to determine
if an inherent defect of design is adding to the problem?

        An additional cooling option is available at Max-Gain on the web.

They sell a Tarzan fan that can be bolted to the exterior of the '220,
doing away with the internal fan altogether. The Tarzan fan is much more
robust and coupled with the dual-level airflow in the '220/'221 series,
should provide more than adequate cooling for long key-down times.

         The only other issues to tackle are the anode and filament
transformer capabilities.

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel
KA1XO