Re: [Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:18:29 -0700

On Aug 30, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

mike kendall wrote:

I thought Ameritron was using PI-L networks vice PI networks?  If
that is the case, doesn't a PI-L network have a more limited matching
range than a PI, but much better harmonic suppresion of course.
Inside the ham bands, I'm assuming that Ameritron would expect the
amp to run into at least a 3:1 VSWR.  If not, why even use tubes and
just go solid state with the expectation your VSWR will be flat. R,

My comments about Q apply to PI-L networks as well. A 3:1 SWR represents a very significant change in operating conditions for the network.

- However, even with a 3:1 SWR, the setting of the Tune-C changes little -- so the operating change is small. Most of the change due to load SWR is compensated for by adjusting the Load-C.

My guess is that there are many combinations of
resistance/reactance giving a 3:1 SWR that would result in excessive
circulating current in the coils and bandswitch of an AL-1500.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org