Re: [Amps] conductivity problem

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] conductivity problem
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:39:29 -0700

On Sep 1, 2004, at 6:35 AM, Will Matney wrote:

Clive,
I used to be a sales engineer for Pandjiris, Inc. out of St. Louis. We manufactured automated welding equipment and welding positioners. This is something we researched in depth as we had to use brushes holding welding current on many pieces of moving machinery. Mercury is hard to contain, especially when it gets one bit hot (it will and can boil). We tried using this in spindle bores of rotating positioners like our competition did using shaft seals to hold the mercury. Of course if something isn't done, the welding current will go through the bearings, and thus ruin them quickly. Mercury has the problem of expanding too much when it gets warm or hot thus blowing seals. This in turn leads to leakage of the mercury and is a big no-no. We got orders all the time from our competitions un-satisfied customers. Now there's some companies who also make these "rotating grounds" but I don't know how much they will or can guarantee no leakage. Carbon brushes have disadvantages also. They are brittle, wear out quickly, and heat up quickly.

-- Graphite brushes are self-lubricating, so they do not wear out as quickly as carbon brushes. If the current burden is such that a brush heats up, the brush is not large enough. Multiple graphite brushes are used in 600hp series-wound DC motors used in diesel-electric railroad locomotives. Brushes are just another maintenance item, like spark-plugs and oil filters. ...
Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org