Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>,Mail List for Amplifiers <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class
From: Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:22:05 -0500
This is EXACTLY the answer I needed. The amp uses a pair of 4-125As and the screens are at "350V - 400V" Plates at "2000V - 3000V" (but no terminating resistor) so I guess that makes it a class AB1 linear. The screen grids have several bypass caps to ground but no resistor. The signal is fed to the control grids through the MB-40-L and the plate circuit is prety normal..

Just what I needed for my vintage shack linear.

R. Measures wrote:

Jim -- If the tetrodes are being operated at roughly half of their max screen-V rating, they are likely being run in a non-linear mode. If they are being operated at their max. screen-V rating, and there is a grid-terminating R, they are probably operating in Class AB1 linear service.