[Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:34:21 -0400
Rob.
Aluminum has several design features that aren't as good as copper for a tank coil. Copper has better conducting values and will not get hot near as quick. Plus, soldering to aluminum isn't as easy as copper thus connections aren't easily made. Aluminum also corrodes forming an aluminum oxide on its surface. The conductance, heat value, and corrosion all will vary the Q because of the skin effect.

If you recall, house trailers used aluminum wiring years ago. They stopped using it over the wire corroding and loosing contact in receptacles and switches. While under load, this caused some house fires. Now, the only aluminum wire used in homes is the large wire coming into the service entrance and some used to run electric heat, etc. Then, there is a grease type compound used at each connection to keep the wire from corroding in the joint.

Industry uses aluminum wire in large transformer secondaries for welding machines, and other types of equipment. All these connections are generally welded except where a connection has to be made with a bolt, lock washer, and nut. This is generally a strip of aluminum formed into a coil.

Antennas use aluminum pretty much as the main components material. This is due to the cost of aluminum being cheaper than copper. Plus, aluminum is stouter than copper in some respects, according to the type. Aluminum could be used in tank coils but it would require larger diameters than copper would. The connections to the load and tune capacitors, plus any taps, would be harder to make than using copper thus driving up the costs. In using an aluminum coil, it would need the ends flattened and drilled with holes to fit the studs on the capacitors. The taps would need to be made with clamps on the tubing made out of a solderable material like plated copper. Then you could run into more corrosion over using dis-similar metals. Generally, the studs on the capacitors are brass which is a copper alloy. This being said, copper to brass would not corrode as easily as aluminum to brass.

Aluminum has it uses but inside amplifiers, I dont think its that great as compared to copper.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Hi Will,

thanks very much for these observations. I apologize for not giving more information. I naively thought the photos would be enough. interesting what you said about the low frequency coil, as I have heard that having it wound on a solid cylinder form may be a problem (heat buildup?).
I wish I had one of the original h.v. transformers. I would be glad to send it to you but I guess the shop kept it. your comments about coil tube thickness and plating very interesting also.
Why don't these amp manufacturers just bite the bullet and make us an amp with the needed monster coils? I don't care about having a compact amp. I want an amp that works well. If it is the size of a chest of drawers so be it. Where did this mania for having everything smashed into a tiny cabinet come from anyway? Some of these 1.5 kw amps being made today (i won't name names) are incredibly small for the p.e.p. okay, end of rant. The relationship between Q and tarnishing I did not know about. I guess aluminum tube coils are not an option for some reason or surely they would be used.

73,
Rob/K5UJ