RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Tempo Henry 2002 / FT-736R

To: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Tempo Henry 2002 / FT-736R
From: David Vondrasek <n5ito@davidv.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:40:30 -0500
At 03:58 PM 9/1/2004 -0700, Steve Katz wrote:
>> Tried bonding the two chassis together (2002 and 736R) with heavy
>> strapping, short distance?

Strapped the 736 to the 2002 with no effect.

>> If you listen on another 2m receiver when this is happening, what's it
>> sound like?  If you don't have a second 2m receiver, can you ask a local
>> friend what it sounds like?

Waiting for a local to show up now..

>> The 736R is notorious for bad/intermittant mike cable ground problems at
>> the front panel, which can take a small loop problem and make it worse.
>> Have you measured continuity between the "ring" (threaded outer shell) of
>> the front panel mike jack and real chassis ground?

0.6 ohms

>> Does this problem still occur if you leave everything connected as usual,
>> but turn the Mirage interstage amplifier OFF?

If I turn off the Mirage all is normal. I just can't run the Mirage without
what looks to be feedback overloading the receiver. I can put the
AGC on FAST or OFF and I don't have a receive problem coming back
after doing some CW. But the SSB signal seems to have a 50 watt carrier
with no audio

More testing being done now.

Thanks