[Amps] Re: Amp Tutor 101.com

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Amp Tutor 101.com
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:23:17 -0400
Hal,
I wouldn't care to start one somewhere and do the web design. The provider I use is freewebs.com. It runs $30.00 a year minimum. It's easy to set up and they allow FTP. Most of these small ones can be set up and done with donations from the readers. However, most wont donate, a thing I found out quickly =). It would be after the 3rd of next month before I could start one up at freewebs but they do have a good service which is cheap. The file size limit is about 50 megs if I recall, but these pics and designs don't take much room either. Another member of this mailer runs one his self but his costs is a staggering amount like $1,100 dollars. On freewebs, the size limit and bandwidth can be increased by extra money though. I think the next thing up from the $30.00 a year is something like that amount a month. A website with four parts, theory, propagation, electrical, and mechanical would make a good start. Each part having sub-sections with details, and links. With several donating to the work, by authoring parts of the website, would be about the only way to make it fly quick. It wouldn't matter who did what, as I'd like to see something like this finally come about. I will help in any form I can if others will jump in on the project. I can do so much as where I'm handicapped, I'm home all the time.

One other thought is that if somebody has a HTML server running on a home computer which is online full time. If they would be able to do this service, that would count wonders. It would have to fit his/her allowable bandwidth that the ISP provides. A university may want to donate the server and space, but finding one would be something to do. Let me know and I'll do what I can.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Harold B. Mandel wrote:

Dear Friends,
After 10 months of slavery and anguish I have learned things
additional to the previous 42 years of cobbling ham radios
from pieces and would love to publish my VISIO schematics,
/film-noir/ type grainy photographs and hints 'n' kinks about
the torture of building QRO amplifiers in hotel rooms.
At work, I find myself reissuing papers on basic Telephony
Craft on each new project because of the onslaught of
unqualified people learning to be technicians, and maybe a web
site that deals with basic construction and figuring might be
a dandy place to visit.
There's one place, Dakota-something or other, that deals with
amps, but there are no outside submissions solicited and the
subject matter is very limited.
Lemme know what you think?
Hal
W4HBM