Re: [Amps] New Panasonic Tube Radio The impossible perfect amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Panasonic Tube Radio The impossible perfect amp
From: "donii@sympatico.ca" <donii@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:33:22 -0400
Geesh!! gentlemen:
RE: ' give 100% of what can in the input' It starts at the microphone either in the studio or at a hams shack. The mic has it diaphram's inertia and elasticity index that 'colors' the signal even before the mic's coil and magnet add their own thing. Them there is the capacitance of the coax to the amp. Once in the amp it goes through over 100 ( IMHO ) influences before coming out!
Oh and the worst of all is the output transformer with all of its magnetic inertia.......wow. You ain't got the original signal at all!!

What's remarkable is that Yamaha in the early transistor audio amp years deveolped an ss amp the 'colored' or 'tainted' ...I wouldn't go far as saying 'distorted ' the signal to sound like a tube amp. They called it ' Natural Sound' and did quite a bit of marketing with it. I think that they still use the term. I have a 'Natural' Yamaha....don't see much diff. Maybe my ears aren't 'natural' anymore. Too much rock band activity when I was younger.

BTW the other day I saw a web site that touted an audio amp ( 6L6's i think) with no output transformer!! 300 volts in the speaker wires?? Not really I didn't look closely at the schematic but it was acircuit that somehow lowered the speaker voltage.

Nuph said
73's
VE2FAR