Re: [Amps] Quiet Cooling

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quiet Cooling
From: "scm" <scm@carrollsweb.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:45:58 -0500
Will,

Rich is way ahead of you on the plywood :-) I can almost see roll and pleated naugahyde covered amps now. Are naugas extinct yet?

73,
Steve  wd0ct

Hal, and others,

There may be a way of using baffles with an internal enclosed fan. Speaker cabinet construction uses some features where acoustic engineers design a majority of them in industry. That would be a good person to speak with if we could stir one up. Suppose a high output muffin fan were placed in an acoustic deadened enclosure using available sound deadening materials. There's some foam sheet available really cheap for this at Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com/). Another thought would be to make the amp chassis like large speaker and guitar amps and or speaker enclosures using the leather look vinyl, etc. I have to say, I have always wanted one built this way as they really look good compared to plain painted aluminum, or steel chassis. This way, any ugly enclosure could be made exceptionally good looking with exceptional sound deadening. A 1/4" plywood carcus with the black vinyl cover, black or chrome corner guards, black anodized face plate, white