Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes
From: Traian <yo9fzs@office.deck.ro>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:55:55 +0300
A local manufacturer here was making different diode type,
for example:
D6N10 is the "normal" diode,
D6F10 is the fast version,
D6A10 is the avalanche specified one ("controlled avalanche"),
all at the same rating, 6 amps 1000 PIV (so the respective name coding).
As I know, this was similar (different model for the avalanche)
for all 6, 10 and 16 amps diodes at PIV from 100 to 1000 V type.
While the "N"  models were manufactured from a long period
of time, the avalanche "A" ones were launched much later,
maybe during the late '80's.
Also, the N versions were produced for PIV up to 1600 but
the A ones were for up to 1000 PIV only.
So, there is no doubt that such special desingned diodes are manufactured.
Maybe one of the reasons for this is the one mentioned by Peter.

An interesting info regarding the subject, including designing of
series avalanche diode string can be found at:

http://www.dynexsemi.com/assets/DNX_AN5370_Jul02.pdf

73,
Traian