Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines

To: JMLTINC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:15:22 -0400
I had a chance to look at the web sites. The PA3CSG design consists of a "1/2" wave line load at both ends, tube output C at one end and the tune and coupling C at the other end. The low impedance mid point is where the DC feed choke attaches...note that it appears a bit off center because the two 1/4 wave lines have different loading...apparently the tube has less.

The way to find the low impedance point is to use a dip meter and touch the line at various points along its length, the point with least change in dip is the low Z point.

jeff, wa1hco

JMLTINC@aol.com wrote:

Hi QRO gurus -

Let's talk 1/2wl plate lines.

If you check out PA3CSG's website @ www.qsl.net/pa3csg , or PA7TA's site @ http://www.pa7ta.com/144MHz_RF-Deck.htm , the plate lines on their 2 meter, GS35B amps are about 20.8" (53cm) long.

Everything I have read regarding 1/2wl plate lines says to figure the length for a shortened 1/4wl line (the inductor), and then add a full 1/4wl to that. At 144Mhz that makes a total length of about 28" or so.

I cannot believe their shortened 1/4wl line (inductor) is only 3 tenths of an inch long. Obviously, I am missing something here. Please help!

Thanks in advance-
John, N9RF