Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Sections As Plate Lines
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:32:34 -0400
Jeff,
It can also be affected by the way the stripline is mounted, or how close it is to the surrounding structure. That's what I was thinking they were probably taking into consideration. Just like tweaking a tank coil, about the same difference. I never did get involved with any 2 meter equipment or higher frequencies due to this. Seems like you can pass wind and something will change..LOL! This is discussed somewhat in the VHF/UHF Handbook. Also, most measurements in print are rounded off to the nearest whole number in many places, especially when describing a product without a lot of detail. About like saying a chassis is 17" wide when it's actually 17-3/32" overall.

Will Matney

The plate lines are not 1/4 or 1/2 wave long because the resonance and
matching has to include the effects of the tuning capacitor and output
coupling capacitor. This effect shows up well on a smith chart. The
end of the line has to look inductive to resonate with the output caps. The amount of inductance depends on both length and impedance of the line.

I've been playing with software from Lance Lascari

(http://tools.rfdude.com/RFdude_Smith_Chart_Program/RFdude_smith_chart_program.html)

and building some matching network at 144 and 432 using the models and get good results. If you're interested, I can send you some examples.

I'm copying my self at work because that's where I run Lance's
software.  At home, I use a  similar program for  Linux.

jeff, wa1hco