Re: [Amps] Non-inductive resistors

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Non-inductive resistors
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:54:05 -0400
Rich,
According to what I read, those Globar and Ohmite resistors were wound with a similar process. I know I seen a cut away of one of those similar to Globar and it had similar windings under the ceramic cover. Especially the Slab Type resistors, which I have seen the insides of myself by dissecting a bad one. Globar says this about the Slab Type; "RF Dummy Load Circuits".

According to the Radio Engineers Handbook, it shows nine possible ways (including Ayrton-Perry) to wind a resistor with "that minimize reactive effects". Under the section,"Non-reactive Wire-wound Resistors", it says,"To keep the inductance low, each turn should enclose the minimum possible area, and the wire should have as many ohms per foot of length as possible so that the length required to obtain the desired resistance will be small". Of course we all know this as we'd be winding an inductor, the more turns, the more inductance. Then it goes on, "In addition, it is desirable that adjacent turns carry current in opposite directions so that the residual inductance of an individual turn is neutralized by the effect of the adjacent turns. A low capacitive reactance associated with a resistor is obtained by arranging the winding in such a way that adjacent turns of wire have a low potential difference between them and as far apart as possible".

The type I first mentioned about the loops, one behind the other, was actually known as the "Reversed Loop". The "Bifilar Series", is another which is almost similar. The Ayrton-Perry method was like I described in the last post.

>>- "Also, there is no such thing as a conductor that does not have inductance."

Well of course there's no conductor with no inductance, resistor or just plain wire. But there's methods to cancel what inductance that's possible, if not those Globar resistors wouldn't work, nor any others. Even though those tubular resistors look like a solid coating on the outside, there's a winding underneath that coating. The ones in the load I have here, the coating is thin enough you can actually see the outline of them. From the others I've seen and on the Internet of cut-away views from tubular ceramic, non-inductive resistors, they all had a winding of some form or another. The load here from Harris, had a small amount but was mainly due to using six resistors laid out with the wiring. It leveled out with approx. 30-35 pF of capacitance applied in parallel to the resistor bank. That means the inductance had to be really low. Looking at the Palstar load again, down in the lower left corner, you can see a doorknob capacitor. This in the inside view they give from the 5Kw load. The schematic for the 2.5 kw load shows a 33 pF cap there also. Both those loads (2.5 and 5 Kw) weren't there when I spoke to Palstar a few years back.

From all this, I still think a person can wind his own if he can find a suitable resistance wire or tubing.

Will Matney