Re: [Amps] Power metering in linears

To: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>, robrk@echomatrix.net,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power metering in linears
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:03:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>Don't think any diodes in the circuit are linear from 160 to 10.

Diodes are not linear.  But, that is not the problem.  The non-linearity does
not depend upon frequency but is controlled by the rectification process.
Non-linearity can be calibrated out easily with a meter scale.  The change in
levels due to frequency are caused by the frequency response of the toroid
device.  Both the core material and the number of turns can be adjusted.  It is
quite easy to determine what the bandwidth is by feeding the sensor with a
wideband signal generator and measuring output of the sensor versus frequency.
If adjusting the number of turns and the core does not give you the range you
need, you can make frequency dependent compensation on the output of the sensor
(for example, small value bypass caps on the output line will not charge the
diode at the lower frequency and be useful if the voltage output of the sensor
dropped off with frequency).  The right combination of these three factors
should allow you to construct a sensor that covers the range you need.  This
empirical approach is perfect for the amateur since it requires no math, no
knowledge of physics and very little expenditure of money.  You should be able
to become an expert in this area with less than a 6 pack and one evening of
bench work.

Colin  K7FM