Re: [Amps] orphan amp?

To: "George" <gclute@comcast.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] orphan amp?
From: "Barry Kirkwood" <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 05:00:13 -0000
I have aViewstar PT2000A.
Have run it very successfully for nearly 10 years. Has also been run by guest ops with no problems.
Mainly CW contest work and hamming around.
Bought it second hand.
Problems early on: The plate blocking cap went. Replaced with fatter one, no problems since.
The rectifier stack died, probably as result of above, and the power caps were sad.
Replaced them with higher capacity and stronger spec. Again no problems since.
Recently hads problems with dirty ant relay contacts. Hard to acess, so took plastic box off unit, cleaned contacts, left suspended by its leads (short leads, not too bad), again no firther problems and easy service in future.
Note that this amp uses PiL and needs to be tuned precisely into dummy load to get correct settings before operation on the bands.
Once ths is done it goes very well.
73
Barry

end