Re: [Amps] orphan amp?

To: "carl seyersdahl" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] orphan amp?
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:07:37 -0400
I own a PT-2500A. My buddy bought the demo unit at the Dayton Hamvention in 1984. They sold it cheap rather than carry it back.

My understanding was that Viewstar was own by Tom Hammond, the same Tom Hammond of Hammond transformer company. The design was eventually bought by B&W, who kept the same model number. The only difference that I'm aware of is that they deleted an area of black paint on the front panel.

Viewstar disappeared a long time ago, although I believe Hammond transformer is still around. B&W might be a place for parts.

I've owned mine since 1989. When I first got it, there was some high-band arcing in the bandswitch. My solution was to devote it to 160M where it has generated a lot of big contest scores. Yes, the T/R relay is slow and it clunks. Also, the relay keying voltage is 120 VDC (not a typo). I added my own soft-keying with $10 of part from Radio Shack.

It still easily makes legal limit on 160M with 100W drive going through a W3NQN bandpass filter. This is with the original 1984 Eimac 3-500Zs.

It might not be the best amp on the planet, but it's done a good job for me.

Dave/K8CC